If you read my recipe for Tomato Salad, you already know that I love the summertime. I hope you do also. During the summer, everything is just bursting around you. Vegetables are at their peak of ripeness and flavor. Everything is just so good. You never think about wintertime and the lower grade of vegetables that are available.
If you have a garden, you can grow everything that is in this dish. Because of that, it will be that much better. This is another incredibly simple and very delicious dish that you can prepare in about 15 to 20 minutes. I like to use Penne Pasta with lines. Always get the lines because that is what holds on to the sauce. Who wants the sauce sliding off of the pasta? You can use any type of files that you like. Now let’s start cooking.
– 3 Large, Blood Red Native Tomatoes
– 1 Medium Zuccini
– 1 Yellow Squash
– 1 Medium Onion. Red, Yellow or White
– 6 Garlic Cloves
– ½ pounds of dry pasta
– 7 Fresh Basil Leafs, Torn
– Olive oil, salt and pepper
– Grated Parmesan cheese
– Crusty Italian bread
1. Bring a Large Pot of water to the boil. Salt the water liberally and cook the pasta until Al Dente. A little bit hard. While waiting for the word to boil and while the pasta is cooking, do steps 2-9
2. Coarsely Chop the Tomato, set aside
3. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and then in half lengthwise again. Very coarsely chop, set aside
4. Do the same for the Yellow Squash, set aside
5. Coarsely dice the onion, set aside
6. Coarsely chop the garlic, set aside
7. In a frying pan on medium/high, sauté the onion and garlic until slightly soft. Salt and pepper to taste
8. Place the Zucchini And Yellow Squash in with the onion and garlic. Sauté until slightly softened
9. But the tomatoes in the frying pan and sauté until softened slightly
10. Place the pasta in the frying pan along with 1-2 Ladle’s of pasta water
11. Cook everything on Medium/High heat until the vegetables are slightly more softened. 3-5 minutes
12. Turn off the and throw in the basil and toss.
When the is turned off and the basil hits the hot pasta and vegetables, WOW, do you get a taste explosion. That is what summer is all about.
You have just repaired an incredible meal. Toss with grated Parmesan cheese and serve with the beverage of your choice. A glass of white wine is my choice. Also serve with crusty Italian bread. If you can, sit outside and need this meal. It’s way too hot in the kitchen.