1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp water
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 2 1/2 to 3 – pound broiler -fryer chicken or one 4- to 5- domestic duck or wild goose
Cooking oil or melted butter
2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered, or 8 new potatoes
6 medium carrots, bias-sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium apples, cored and cut into wedges
– In a small saucepan combine first 10 ingredients.
– Bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
– Remove from heat; set aside.
– Rinse poultry and pat dry with paper toweling.
– Skewer neck skin to back.
– Tie legs to tail.
– Twist wing tips under back,
– Place poultry, breast-side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
– Brush skin, except for duck, with cooking oil or melted butter.
– Prick skin of domestic duck well all over to allow fat to escape.
– During roasting, remove excess fat.
– Insert a meat thermometer.
– Roast chicken, uncovered, in a 375 F oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
– Roast domestic duck 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours; wild goose 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours.
– Meanwhile, in a covered saucepan cook potatoes and carrots in boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or till nearly tender.
– The last 20 minutes of roasting time, discard any fat in roasting pan from poultry.
– Arrange vegetables and the uncooked apples around poultry in pan.
– Spoon honey mixture over poultry, vegetables, and apples.
– Roast about 20 minutes longer or until meat thermometer register 185 F and vegetables and apples are tender.
– Baste occasionally with honey mixture during roasting and again just before serving.
– Arrange poultry, vegetables, and apples on a serving platter.
– Makes 6 servings.